Qatar Blockade - The Human Rights Consequences and Remedies Conference: Monday 12 March 2018
Partner and Head of Public International Law, Guy Martin will be participating as an expert panel member at an Arab Organisation for Human Rights in the UK Conference on Monday 12 March. Guy and the other panel members will be discussing the blockade of Qatar by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt which is now into its eighth month. The discussion will focus on why it is essential to assess why steps have not been implemented to resolve the crisis.
The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) recently issued a report highlighting the widespread human rights violations caused by the blockade and the resulting harm to security, economic relations and cooperation in the whole region. The panel will explore the root causes of the crisis and impasse, the effects on the whole region and ordinary citizens, the violations being committed, and what concrete and constructive measures can be initiated to remedy the situation.
- Prof. John Chalcraft London School of Economics, Professor of Middle East History and Politics, Department of Government.
- Guy Martin Partner and Head of International Department, Carter-Ruck Solicitors.
- Steven Powles Barrister and Head of International Law, Doughty Street.
- Joyce Hakmeh Chatham House, International Security Department.
- Nikita Bernadi Media Expert, BTP Advisers.
- Rodney Dixon QC Temple Garden Chambers.
Date and Time
12 March 2018 from 17.30-19.00pm
University College London, Gower St, London WC1E 6XA (Room: Anatomy G29 J Z Young LT).
How to Register
If you are interested in attending this conference and would like to register, please click here.